The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-08-02 23:02:58

JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com

How many therians are there?

I really do wonder how many of us are there?

Last edited by JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com (2011-08-02 23:03:27)

Those who don't understand the past are destined to repeat it.

#2 2011-08-03 17:56:00

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: How many therians are there?

Best I can tell, we make up about 0.03% of the population. (I did a calculation once and my experience since then has pretty much born it out). I figure there's between 50,000 to 100,000 Weres in the US - maybe a million world-wide.

#3 2011-08-03 18:33:28

JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com

Wow, that's a really small amount. How did you come to that conclusion WolfVanZandt?

#4 2011-08-04 05:08:20

ShadowTrail

JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com wrote:

Wow, that's a really small amount. How did you come to that conclusion WolfVanZandt?

He clearly pull it out from a hat. There are no world covering (or even nation covering) surveys that counts therians.
Even worse > i personally belive that most therians dont awake and they never will, so numbers will not be known.
(Im curently in proces of researching "subtle" therians)

if u ever meet a person that say "hmmm, i think i was an animal in previous live" you have chances for a therian. Also some of hunters/pouchers etc are potential therian cos hunting instinct are strong in our kind

Of course WolfVanZandt is a greymuzzle and im not reckognized in community yet, but give me some time ^^
Right now you can take his word as granted

btw your nick is plain terrible  (why you use email adress as a nick? ) sad

#5 2011-08-04 15:00:04

JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com

That was actually a mistake lol, I wasn't paying attention so I put my old email address as my username. I was actually thinking about creating a new one today.

#6 2011-08-04 17:51:49

WolfVanZandt
Website

In a way, ShadowTrail is right - I didn't count them. What I did do  is use a sociometric formula that used connectivity in society and was based on the number of Therians known by an individual (me) personally to estimate how many might be expected given an even distribution. Certainly there isn't an even distribution so at best, my figures would be a very sketchy estimate. I was pretty skeptical until I started checking the numbers in the areas I knew and they turned out pretty good. Also, I know that there are around 1,000 in Alabama and, if you take that to be a pretty average number (There's a pretty high density in the Atlanta area, low density in the plains states) you get a range estimate from 50,000 to 100,000. Assumedly, there is much greater density in places like eastern Europe (although there seems to be a lot of therianthropy among Native Americans, also), so I figure the world could handle a million pretty easily.

#7 2011-08-04 18:05:05

John Anchondo

Well WVZ are you saying that there would be a million worldwide that know they're therian, not counting the ones that haven't discovered "themselves", or are you saying that there would be a million therians worldwide period?

#8 2011-08-04 20:46:34

ShadowTrail

John Anchondo wrote:

Well WVZ are you saying that there would be a million worldwide that know they're therian, not counting the ones that haven't discovered "themselves", or are you saying that there would be a million therians worldwide period?

if i understend everything correctly > WVZ count therian in one area (Alabama state) divide state population by that number > you have a hmm divider? (i need a word sorry for my crapy language skill). Then you use that number for earth populaion and you have first number i belive (about million worldwide).
BUT like WZW notice therian are not even spread around the world, and i dont think his metod of counting therian is valid. He of course count only known therian, registered on therian databases. We dont have that fancy Cerebro detector wink

Also it looks that most awakened therian are in USA. There are not so many in the rest of the world, except maybe Russia (but they dont register on english forums to confirm that)
And main reason is > most of them not even realize that there is something like therian/otherkin community, so they keep their thoughts for themselves

Btw  > you can look at average density on that map (there are also more detailed map, but not that easyly reachable)
(btw this  map show groups, not persons)

http://therian.meetup.com/

#9 2011-08-04 21:39:26

John Anchondo

Oh, I guess that leaves us on the guessing game then. Well maybe we'll have a better understanding of the concept in the near future.

(Just in case you didn't realize, this is the username I meant to put in instead of JohnTheDon123@yahoo.com)

#10 2011-08-05 15:41:41

WolfVanZandt
Website

No. The formula I used works on connectivity (6 degrees of separation) and known local density to come to an estimate. The assumption is that the distribution of Therians worldwide (or in the area being consdered) is constant - a bad assumption - but it's about the best I would be able to come up with. Since I was counting people I knew to be Therian, whether they knew it or not, the estimate would be somewhere between all Therians and all those who know themselves to be Therian. In other words, as an estimate, it's probably an underestimate - not an over estimate.

And I'm still agreeing with ShadowTrail - this is probably a poor estimate and I don't think we'll be able to do any better in anything like the near future.

I'm much more confident with this estimate in the US; I'm less confident with it worldwide.

Last edited by WolfVanZandt (2011-08-05 15:43:33)

#11 2011-08-09 02:29:07

walkingintheshadows
Website

Blaze from the ragdiriz wolf pack estimated that roughly 4% of the population are therians, but most of that 4% have no idea. Mind you, WVZ, your calculations seem just as good, I dont think anybody really has any idea.

#12 2011-08-09 18:20:12

WolfVanZandt
Website

4%....that would be a lot of Therians. You're right, though, it would be really hard to come up with anything like an accurate answer.

Board footer