The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-23 00:59:18

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Movie Reviews

Ok, I've gotten on this random werewolf movie-watching streak the past week or so despite all the time I've had to spend studying for school. So far I've seen 5 films (most for the first time) and I'm hoping to watch some more with Halloween coming up. As for the one's I've seen, here's my personal rating:

1. An American Werewolf in London (seen it several times before) *****
2. An American Werewolf in Paris **
3. Blood & Chocolate ***
4. Cursed ***
5. Bad Moon *****

I'm hoping to write up a bit more about what I thought about each one when I have time. wink

Any suggestions for some more I should see?

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#2 2011-10-23 12:53:23

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Movie Reviews

The Wolfman (both of them)
Van Helsing
Curse of the Werewolf

#3 2011-10-23 20:52:31

WolfMontana

Glad to see you enjoyed Bad Moon - that's so underrated big_smile

The Howling would be another one you'll want to see. Often it's tied for favorite with AWIL for most folks smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#4 2011-10-24 09:18:17

The Busboy
Administrator

Company of Wolves too.

#5 2011-10-24 09:45:40

zockereinstein

You could try also Ginger Snaps, specially the first one. And if you like action instead of genuine horror, try with Dog Soldiers. These are the best ones I felt missing on the previous posts.

#6 2011-10-24 23:05:11

White Wolf
Website

Yeah, Bad Moon was awesome! I mean, I was really, really impressed. I can't exactly put my finger on it, but I feel like it was a bit more of a thinking movie (which I really enjoy). Of course there was your stereotypical attack scenes and all (which were very well done), but all in all, it was so unique in its perspective and pace. I really liked the werewolf too... which I was surprised about because I normally don't care for bipedal werewolves/non-CGI werewolves that much. I thought it looked pretty darn cool!

Is the Howling good?

Ah, I really like the newer Wolfman! (I own it.) Well... all of it save for the ending fight scene where I swear the father looks like the apeman. tongue tongue tongue

What's Company of Wolves about?

Dog Soldiers I think is probably the next on my list. What did ya'll think of that one?

Did any of you see Red Riding Hood? (I'll tell you my thoughts on it, but I'm curious to see all of yall's first. tongue)

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#7 2011-10-25 09:12:47

zockereinstein

The Howling (the original one) is, IMHO, the second best werewolf movie ever made. You can also watch the II and III just for laughs, but you can live without watching the others (IV to VII and Reborn).

#8 2011-10-25 23:44:58

Viergacht

Yeah, the Howling is a stone cold classic. The second and third are fun if you watch them as comedies and not "serious" horror films - they're pretty wacked and surreal. I did like the 6th one, The Freaks, because it had an unusually sympathetic werewolf protagonist.

Company of Wolves is a collection of stories based around the Red Riding Hood theme, it sort of a art house movie, definately makes you think. It's based on "The Bloody Chamber" by Angela Carter, which is a good read, psychosexual reworkings of fairy tales. Company has one of the more interesting variations of a transformation scene, where the werewolf rips off/bursts through his human skin, transforms into a skinless wolf and then regrows the skin. Gross!

If you like older movies, Curse of the Werewolf is a worthwhile one.

#9 2011-10-27 22:21:38

White Wolf
Website

I really need to see it, it sounds like! That's definitely gone to the top of my list.

So besides good movies, what are some of the worst werewolf movies ya'll have seen?

#10 2011-10-28 09:02:38

zockereinstein

For me, the "Infamous Top" are: Darkwolf (worst CGI ever made), one called Werewolf (from 1996), Teen Wolf II (first one was nice as comedy, but...) and all Twilight ones (even though the author of the novels herself said that those ARE NOT WEREWOLVES).

Board footer