You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-18 17:58:48

fearless freak

an article on werewolf films from BD

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#2 2012-05-19 22:15:31

WereWolfH

Re: an article on werewolf films from BD

Ummmmm ths article is a little wack. I sorta get what he's saying. Basicallly werewolves can only be in "horror" movies. Well, that's not always the case.
Sorry, as much as people don’t like Twilight, I dig the fact that it helped open the door for many werewolf movies because it made bank at the box office and merchandise went up that related to werewolves.

There have been movies with werewolves but they might not have been the main characters. That’s okay I think b/c people seem to want small, stupid stuff.
This writer needs to see a Cabin in the Woods. I’m hoping they do some prequels and have the antagonist be a werewolf. That’d be dope.

I agree with what he’s saying on people trying to be all unieque and stuff. Mainly it’s like this, if years down the road they do a special on werewolves you gotta be able to show werewolves from different movies and still be able to recognize what movie they came from without a credit being placed underneath. That’s what they do with vampires.

Sorry the Howling and the Howling 2 are great and I’m looking to watch Howling 2 now. I also loved Silver Bullet. I just started watching it again. Moreso a PG movie now, but it was still fun.

Totally forgot Van Helsing, sorry that intro to the werewolf was badass.
Forgot harry Potter (though I’d have preferred the first version of him not the final look now)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#3 2012-05-19 23:11:22

KCat

Ummmmm ths article is a little wack. I sorta get what he's saying. Basicallly werewolves can only be in "horror" movies. Well, that's not always the case.

I think the point was more that a werewolf movie will undoubtedly be horror due to the nature of the beast.  There's a difference between a movie with werewolves (like Van Helsing or Harry Potter) and a movie about werewolves (like An American Werewolf in London or Ginger Snaps). The latter are what would delve deep into the actual werewolf mythos and metaphors, into the werewolves themselves, and it'd be really difficult to pull that off without being horror-based given the themes involved.

The whole concept behind a classic werewolf is about a person that's forced to undergo changes, into a more primal (or animal) state. Such a thing is, or should be, scary... change is scary, as is the idea of losing control of ones' self (or humanity), two things that define what a werewolf is in classic werewolf cinema. It's something that the majority of "werewolf movies" get wrong or handle poorly, and why we have so few great werewolf movies.

#4 2012-05-20 06:21:38

zockereinstein

KCat wrote:

I think the point was more that a werewolf movie will undoubtedly be horror due to the nature of the beast.  There's a difference between a movie with werewolves (like Van Helsing or Harry Potter) and a movie about werewolves (like An American Werewolf in London or Ginger Snaps). The latter are what would delve deep into the actual werewolf mythos and metaphors, into the werewolves themselves, and it'd be really difficult to pull that off without being horror-based given the themes involved.

The whole concept behind a classic werewolf is about a person that's forced to undergo changes, into a more primal (or animal) state. Such a thing is, or should be, scary... change is scary, as is the idea of losing control of ones' self (or humanity), two things that define what a werewolf is in classic werewolf cinema. It's something that the majority of "werewolf movies" get wrong or handle poorly, and why we have so few great werewolf movies.

I couldn't express it better. Doing something outside this is trying to make furry superheroes... yes, I understand that the concept sounds "cool" to many people out there, but I prefer watching a movie about people having really bad problems instead of an entertainment for teenagers. If there's no pain, if your ared doomed to change not when you wish to, when you would become the opposite of a human.... that's scary, that's really interesting.

#5 2012-05-21 23:32:04

WereWolfH

sorry still counting Cabin in the Woods, Harry Potter, Blood and Chocolate and all those movies into the werewolf movie genre. i like Silver Bullet. Yes it's a bit dated,but you know what so is that same clip EVERYONE asks for in a transformation scene where the obvious dummy mask (side shot of person's face) sprouts whiskers or hair or whatever with NO movement of the eyes or mouth....

who cares. I just agree with the part about everyone having to feel their wolf needs to look different. No one's done a wolf with a tail that isn't CG. Do that. No more skinless chubacabreras please.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

Board footer