The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2012-09-23 14:11:23

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: A lone alpha

Monarchy? Wolf packs don't even always work as monarchies. There's a lot more variation in societies than outsiders realize.

My impression of Weres is that they tend to naturally group around people with experience and have a desire to benefit the people around them. I guess that's a kind of voting but it generally happens on a subconscious level - it just happens.

#27 2012-09-24 01:25:57

walkingintheshadows
Website

How common are groups of therians living together? If you met a group, would it be obvious, or would they look like a normal group of people?

#28 2012-09-24 18:55:38

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, it wouldn't be that obvious. Even a Howl isn't that obvious. Outsiders generally have to be pretty observant to tell that there's anything different, partially, because Weres really don't act that different, and we tend to have what I call social transparency. People tend to work real hard to not notice us. Sometimes, it can be irritating, like when I'm trying to get a waiter's attention; but, usually, it's great.

I don't really know how common Were groups are, but they can't be too uncommon in the Were community because I know quite a few ranging from Were couples that have been together for quite  a while to one coherent group of about 50 individuals.

#29 2012-09-25 01:38:52

walkingintheshadows
Website

A coherent group of 50? *whistles* That's pretty impressive. It's kind of comforting to know that a group doesn't tend to attract too much attention.

#30 2012-09-25 20:01:31

WolfVanZandt
Website

They're scattered through three huge cities that lie right next to each other (one of those "tri-city" arrangements.) Luckily, they're mountain cities so there's not much urban sprawl and there's real wilderness not far away.

#31 2012-09-26 02:24:00

walkingintheshadows
Website

O.O Wow. That's a lot of Weres in one place. How on earth did they all end up moving/living there?

#32 2012-09-26 03:03:36

WolfVanZandt
Website

There are lots of Weres in the Atlanta area. They just aren't as coherent. It just so happened that this group has a strong, established figure to work around.

#33 2012-09-26 12:07:10

walkingintheshadows
Website

Do you think there's any reason for a higher number of Weres in one area over another? Generally, it seems to me that most Weres come from Western nations, and are very prevalent in America. Is that true?

#34 2012-09-27 01:52:00

WolfVanZandt
Website

I doubt it. You don't get an accurate view from the Internet. I would imagine from what I've gathered from people in Eastern Europe that there's a large population there. There's also a large part of the world that's not technologically advanced. Native Americans, both North and South seem to have a high frequency of therianthropy as do African tribes. Also, the birthplace of shamanism, Russia, would be expected to have a high frequency of therianthropy.

#35 2012-09-27 02:18:54

walkingintheshadows
Website

That's interesting. I really didn't have much idea about how extensive the community is offline. It's hard to judge, as the internet is basically my port of reference right now.

#36 2012-09-27 20:00:03

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye, and there's no telling how many Weres on line aren't Weres. A lot of advice to Weres online will get you into trouble. People like to have second lives and be seen as knowledgeable and "Werewolf" is exciting, but then, if they're not really Werewolves, then they're advice doesn't really apply. Frankly, I'm very edgy about what I see online. And most online resources are so corrupted by outside influence that I hate to send people to the sites that are there for information.

#37 2012-09-28 02:18:45

walkingintheshadows
Website

I've seen, recently even, sites where every other person is not only a Were, but also a demi-god, a mermaid or related to death. I'm not really in a position to criticise other people's beliefs, but I do think it doesn't give people the best ideas about us. Of course, different cyberpacks declaring war on each other is also ridiculously common. I think if you can remain skeptical about all the information, there's some pretty good stuff to be dragged out of it. As long as you are skeptical about it. It's pretty easy for people to believe whatever they read or are told.

#38 2012-09-28 18:26:50

WolfVanZandt
Website

And there's always the lone survivor of a war between a pack of Werewolves and a tribe of Vampires. I've even checked some of those out and you'd think there'd at least be some missing person reports out. The problem is that even very sensible sounding information could easily be completely bogus. It's a good idea to identify people who are well established in the community - both online and offline.

Even then, though, there's some danger. There's a guy in World of Warcraft using my name for a player character. I wouldn't mind so much if the character wasn't such a jerk with a terrifically foul mouth. Then there was the guy that was impersonating a friend of mine on a forum - insulting other members and generally making a nuisance of himself. Fortunately, enough people knew my friend that the forum administrators quickly IDed the imposter and shut him down.

#39 2012-09-28 18:48:15

BlackWolfMarwood

Wow, talk about getting your hands dirty. Sadly I am not quite popular enough to warrant impostors these days. May years ago when I was into a MMORPG named Runescape and led a rather mischievousness clan, I had a number of enemies but it was more for propaganda purposes to improve forum/clan activity. People love dramatic entertainment and the clan was falling apart from inactivity. I suppose I was quite the evil wolfie dictator. Ah reminiscence...

#40 2012-09-29 02:34:59

walkingintheshadows
Website

Oh yep, the lone survivor who brings forwards news of the great battle that occured and how many lives were lost. I always find that entertaining. It's normally easy enough to identify people who actually know what they're talking about.

Ah, enemies. XD I once removed a guy as an admin because he became a bit of an egomaniac and started enforcing rules that didn't even exist. From that point onwards he picked three random people who wanted an arguement and spammed the forums. Once we banned him, he decided to take it to other mediums. The accusation were actually quite hilarious. Apparently, I should be burned in holy water, I will 'rot in the depths of my own corruption' and I'm just generally going to die through some method of them bringing justice. Suffice to say, I never heard from them again.

Apparently, when they find out you're just laughing at them, they tend to become a bit embarrassed XD

Ah, that sucks. At least anybody who knows you would assume it's not you.

LOL BlackWolf, you're right about dramatic entertainment bringing activity. I've never known a more active sites when there's some big dramatic argument going on. Of course, one the drama is over they tend to fade a little.

#41 2012-09-29 09:57:19

WolfVanZandt
Website

Fact is, cyberspace is a huge place with a great diversity including mentally ill people. I don't fault people for being what they are, even if it's a treatable illness (although, if they're ignoring it and not seeking health, I do fault that.), but I do assume that they're out there.

#42 2012-10-01 08:06:08

Siverwolf

Hey wolf, we or more like they are having a hot discussion on werelist about why it's beneficail to have real-life communities and meet other Therians.  Which I half-way started.  ;P

And they are making me crazy....  errr......

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2012-10-01 18:45:17)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#43 2012-10-01 13:26:13

lupinealchemist

I met some friends of my friend in person, apparently they have that particular talent that is akin to the occult. One of them has guardian alter ego who says he was a former daemon. They believe I'm proficient in light elemental healing, and now I learned to expel energy at a quantity that feels like I'm giving blood. 

I also agree that meeting people in person is more beneficial than online.

#44 2012-10-01 15:08:40

walkingintheshadows
Website

~I don't fault people for being what they are, even if it's a treatable illness (although, if they're ignoring it and not seeking health, I do fault that.), but I do assume that they're out there.~

What's worse is when they and others around them don't know they're mentally ill. I knew a Were who eventually openly admitted she'd been treated for clinical lycanthropy in the past - and yet reguarly claimed she could shift still and believed that she had never had anything wrong with her in the first place.

Werelist XD I haven't been on that site in a long time. I really should take a look occasionally. It's easy to become isolated into a single community.

#45 2012-10-01 18:43:00

Siverwolf

walkingintheshadows wrote:

Werelist XD I haven't been on that site in a long time. I really should take a look occasionally. It's easy to become isolated into a single community.

There's nothing wrong with that, you know to lurk around the other sites, but most of them all have their own little world of drama, especially a large Were group like werelist.  Sometimes a nice smaller pack is a great escape form all the chaos.  big_smile

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#46 2012-10-01 19:34:55

WolfVanZandt
Website

Siverwolf, that's why I got off the Werelist.

That's the problem, Walkingintheshadows. It's often hard to tell what's bogus on the Internet, especially for green pups, and people take advantage of that and a lot of the advice they're handing out can be downright dangerous.

#47 2012-10-02 07:56:45

Siverwolf

Yeah, Snuhwolf left werelist the other day.  Said he was getting tired of all the "wineing and handwringing" as he put it.

Siverwolf.

Homo - Lycanthropus

#48 2012-10-03 00:23:11

WolfVanZandt
Website

Woof! He didn't last long, did he? That place is an angst factory. They should bottle it. They could sell it as Industrial Strength Concentrated Angst. They could sell it alongside their granola bars.

#49 2012-10-03 08:05:02

Siverwolf

Hmm...  chewy or crunchy granola?

Siverwolf.

Last edited by Siverwolf (2012-10-03 08:07:03)

Homo - Lycanthropus

#50 2012-10-03 14:04:54

walkingintheshadows
Website

They sell granola bars? Why did no-one tell me about this? yikes

I'm sure I could think of some unsuspecting vict- I mean patients- to release Industrial Strength Concentrated Angst upon.

Board footer