The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-01-27 15:02:45

fearless freak

Vikings & Werewolves

any help would be greatly appreaciated for something i'm writing called The Beastmen

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#2 2010-01-27 15:07:12

deathbringer

Re: Vikings & Werewolves

"hummm i'll let you know if i get any ideas on that"

* lays down at the waters edge*( i'm next to a lake just so you know)

"nothing makes much scene does it"

#3 2010-01-27 15:07:44

fearless freak

cheers

#4 2010-01-27 15:19:24

Berserker

Ideas, or information?

The Scandinavian "werewolf" was in fact more historical than mythological. Basically, Scandinavian history has examples of elite warriors who dressed in wolf and bear skins instead of armor, who were so ferocious and unstoppable in battle that witnesses sometimes blurred the line between man and animal. Several prominent characters in Norse histories in particular were strongly suggested to be werewolves, and much werewolf lore comes from these tales.

Last edited by Berserker (2010-01-27 15:20:57)

Our Marcuse, only better.

#5 2010-01-27 15:26:14

fearless freak

both would be nice and very helpfull and you're describing sounds like an ulfhednar

#6 2010-03-21 22:08:19

Skin_Walker
Website

i don't know if it could help towards vikings, but you could use a well known legend that could relate to vikings, even though i am going to tell you a short folk story about norse warriors. use it if you like.

in auvergne, france, back in 1840 i think, there were warriors called berserkers, which we get the term berserk from. these were ancient norse warriors, who used to kill a wild animal, and then rip off its skin, usually a wolf or a bear, something with alot of fur, as an intimidation to the enemy, as well as the power it gave them. opposition of the battles used to document that, once these warriors put on the skin of the animal, they used to adapt the characertistics of the animals themselves. fearing no one, feeling no pain, full of rage, not backing down to anyone, without any armour, acting like mad dogs, or wolves, most likely. this is where the common term for shapeshifter comes from, as people used to mistake these warriors for werewolves, which is also where the term skin walker comes from, even though that is a native american term for any form of shapeshifter.

Last edited by Skin_Walker (2010-03-21 22:08:45)

to overcome fear, you must become fear
as the sun reflects off the moon, the sheer sound of darkness
will not overpower our journey to hunt, to fight, to perservere
as our strength is kept alive by never giving in

#7 2010-03-22 13:02:55

Berserker

Skin_Walker wrote:

you could use a well known legend that could relate to vikings, even though i am going to tell you a short folk story about norse warriors.

"Norse warriors" and "vikings" are the same thing.

in auvergne, france, back in 1840 i think,

It wasn't in France. It wasn't in 1840.

this is where the common term for shapeshifter comes from, as people used to mistake these warriors for werewolves,

The common term for shapeshifter is... shapeshifter, which originates from simple English and not from any particular folk story.

which is also where the term skin walker comes from

No, the term "skin walker" does not come from this legend.

Our Marcuse, only better.

#8 2010-03-22 15:58:04

Skin_Walker
Website

ok, i've stepped on your toes a little. all legends are false anyway, its called a legend for a reason. and now i'm argueing. you win.

to overcome fear, you must become fear
as the sun reflects off the moon, the sheer sound of darkness
will not overpower our journey to hunt, to fight, to perservere
as our strength is kept alive by never giving in

#9 2013-04-15 23:19:02

FinShaggy
Website

Berserker wrote:

Ideas, or information?

The Scandinavian "werewolf" was in fact more historical than mythological. Basically, Scandinavian history has examples of elite warriors who dressed in wolf and bear skins instead of armor, who were so ferocious and unstoppable in battle that witnesses sometimes blurred the line between man and animal. Several prominent characters in Norse histories in particular were strongly suggested to be werewolves, and much werewolf lore comes from these tales.

What if the witnesses aren't the ones blurring the lines? What if Scandinavians were crossing cultural lines and letting werewolves join their ranks?

Maybe the werewolves thought they were about to gain some civil rights and started showing themselves.

Board footer