The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-02-27 14:16:12

WereWolfH

What's this about werewolves not being able to cross running water?

I thought that was for vampires? I heard about this in Being Human, what else has this rule?

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#2 2010-02-28 02:52:18

Garmr

Re: What's this about werewolves not being able to cross running water?

This is  common myth about vampires and no running water doesn't affect werewolves or vampires alike

#3 2010-03-04 14:13:37

rpgstarwizard

There may be a basis in fact, if a culture existed with any intelligent being , natural signposts may have been an issue. So running over a river, you may be entering another  territory.

#4 2010-03-05 22:16:13

WereWolfH

maybe this is from Legend of Sleepy HOllow also? Or perhaps this was an old tale that was for monsters in general.

#5 2010-03-05 22:37:10

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

The idea of running water affecting mythical creatures most likely had some sway in the locations that Bram Stoker found inspiration in, however, they way we understand them today is most closely that of Stoker's creation in his book Dracula. As far as werewolves go, I am unfamiliar with that, though it may also tie back into Stoker's book for the vampire could turn into a wolf.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#6 2010-03-18 21:11:28

WereWolfH

ah I see.

#7 2011-07-14 11:18:17

wolfette

we sink, all werewolves know that

#8 2011-08-08 08:01:13

werewolfwriter
Website

I once read something about this myth having its origin in the association between werewolfism and rabies (a natural link since both involve canines, transmission through biting and transformation into vicious, animal-like behavior.) Apparently, rabies can sometimes cause hydrophobia (which is one of the nicknames for the disease). Thus the connection between fear of running water and werewolves. -- C. Michael Forsyth, author of Hour of the Beast http://freedomshammer.com

#9 2015-10-29 14:26:00

lillysummers22

yeah i finally made it to the cafe after some failed login attempts yes im not the most computer literate. what is this about running water ? I cant fathom the idea of a tremendous giant superpowerful creature being humbled to a weakness of running water oh boy you just never know. FOR THOSE NAYSAYERS I SAY to each his own everyone has the right to their own personal opinions.

#10 2015-10-29 14:29:05

lillysummers22

do werewolves like stainless steel jewelry?

#11 2015-10-30 15:30:04

lillysummers22

Do werewolves play fight/attack? I am sure there is some form of horseplay. I wonder how they mock  dueling.  There must be some people out there who know . they have a general idea or insight if you would like to answer please by all means reply to the ones whod like to know

#12 2015-11-01 15:51:28

WolfVanZandt
Website

Literarily (and that's all there is for fictional Werewolves), I can think of one source of a myth that Werewolves can't cross running water. In Petronius' Satyricon (Trimalchio's feast) there was a storytelling competition. One person told the story of a soldier that turned into a wolf. Another told of a man who crossed a witch who put him to sleep, cut his throat and stuffed a sponge in his neck. When he crossed a stream, the sponge fell out and he fell dead. It's possible that the stories got crossed somewhere along the way.

As to real Werewolves, no, they have no trouble crossing a stream. I did my yearly endurance hike a couple of days ago (~30 miles in mountainous territory) and I had to cross a stream in a wobbly log. Walking sticks can be very handy.

Werewolves, in fact, often do enjoy rough play, but I'm 62 years old and I'm not as spry as I used to be.

And various Weres have considerable problems with different metals. I'm not particularly affected but there are certain kinds of steel that my brother doesn't take well to at all. Our sweat tends to be considerable on the acid side and we have electrical oddities (I have a very unstable relationship with static electricity - I almost blew a thumbnail off while doing laundry once.)

#13 2016-08-06 12:14:06

WolfVanZandt
Website

Woof! I just noticed this huge blunder on my part!

The story about the guy losing his head wasn't from Petronius. It was from Apulius' The Golden Ass.

Sorry about that.

Board footer