The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-03-24 23:32:43

ScorpioVelvet

The Howling (1981) - 35th Anniversary

When first released between 1980 & 1981, The Howling terrified filmgoers & critics alike with its astonishing realistic special effects (by Rob Bottin) besides the spine-chilling horror/suspense & mystery plot. It was even based on the classic novel by Gary Brandner and spawned countless film sequels (also based on the original novels, too), and landed Dee Wallace to play Elliot's mother in Steven Spielberg's E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial a year later. Director Joe Dante was already at his game when he first took us back in the water with Piranha (1978), and reunited with some of his cast & crew for this classic werewolf thriller (most certainly feels like a New World Pictures production but on bigger budget). Although, John Landis later unleashed his cult favorite horror/comedy An American Werewolf In London for which stands out as a definite werewolf film. The rest was history for The Howling. Now this year marks its 35th anniversary alongside An American Werewolf In London. Already with a Blu-Ray release from Shout! Factory (for those who ether have it or not), this film still looks fabulous & chilling ever since its first release. There is quite a lot to explain my love for The Howling.

I first saw this film back in 2009 at age 18, and thought it was all right. However, there was something special about it. From how it was told and done, Dante had assembled a well-known (but perfect) cast (incluiding his regulars Dick Miller & Belinda Balaski) plus Bottin's shockingly crafted special effects for some of the film's most notable transformation sequences (including that "werewolf sex" scene between Christopher Stone & Elisabeth Brooks, which I found completely bizarre but enchanting) and the beautifully thrilling score by Pino Donaggio (who composed most of Brain De Palma's great thrillers). I always knew I love werewolves and been fascinated with them since my teens. I was also surprised that it was based on a novel by Brandner, and had read it two years later after seeing Dante's film adaptation. The novel is different from the film if you look at it, like werewolves being more four-legged instead of two and the heroine not being a reporter. Time and time again, I found both entertaining. The film is on my top all-time favorite films list for a couple of years now, and one I would love to re-watch soon. Frankly, El Rey Network has been airing the film on some nights starting last month. If you never had watched The Howling or had see it once before, it's a good one to look at. My overall rating for for the film is still 4/5 (meaning good, which I liked).

"Come to the Colony" and celebrate by sharing your thoughts on the original classic that started it all.

Movie & anime lover, artist & writer.

#2 2016-03-28 16:58:33

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: The Howling (1981) - 35th Anniversary

The music, the Eddie Quist transformation, the forest, and the inside of the Quist's house were some of the most memorable eerie parts of that movie.

#3 2016-03-28 22:21:40

ScorpioVelvet

Re: The Howling (1981) - 35th Anniversary

I ought agree with you on all that, Busboy.

Terry investigating the Quist house was one of my favorite moments in the film, good thrills in that scene & how the score fitted well. smile

Lot of people say Eddie's transformation was the highlight of the film, as I know it. But the werewolf sex scene had some good transformations with Bill & Marsha I can say and liked most - so weird & hot. Why have I hear few people discussing more about Eddie's than Marasha & Chris'? big_smile

Wouldn't it be weird & spooky if you were to live in "The Colony" and have your neighbors being werewolves? haha (The forest would make also a creepy atmosphere while living or exploring, too.)

Last edited by ScorpioVelvet (2016-03-28 22:23:23)

Movie & anime lover, artist & writer.

Board footer