The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2016-05-23 21:24:35

Skylar Anne Bailey

Hello...?

Hello...? I just joined this site today. Also, I recently discovered that I'm a Snow Leopard therian. I didn't even know that this was an actual thing. Before I just thought I had these weird instincts that would show up sometimes. It's nice to see an online community here... that means I'm not alone.. or unusually weird.

Is there anyone else out there? Know how I feel?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." ~Robin Williams

"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank

#2 2016-05-24 15:29:43

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Hello...?

I'm a Werewolf but many of the experiences are the same. Do you have a phantom body? Some Weres do.

There are some online forums devoted to the Were community. I like Forest Horizon because it focuses on building the offline community.

Werewolf Cafe is cool but it's primarily a Werewolf fan forum. They're good folks and they noticed a significant Were group here, so they added a few areas specifically for us.

#3 2016-05-24 19:29:01

Skylar Anne Bailey

What's a phantom body?

What is Forest Horizon like? Is that a more diverse community?

"You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." ~Robin Williams

"The final forming of a person's character lies in their own hands." ~Anne Frank

#4 2016-05-24 19:40:06

Skylar Anne Bailey

Since I've only discovered that what I've been experiencing is because I'm a therian, I'm still not sure differentiate my human experiences with my animal ones. sad Do you know anything that could help me figure this stuff out?

#5 2016-05-24 22:11:18

Skylar Anne Bailey

I've done some more research. I'm not totally sure if I have a phantom body because any of shifts I experienced in the past, I didn't know what they were. However, I think I've felt my paws before. There have been a few times where my hands have felt really weird... like they weren't right being human. There was like a tingling feeling in my hands too, like it was disconnected from my body... if that makes sense.

#6 2016-05-25 14:38:39

WolfDaughter
Website

Hi, Skylar. Sometimes, I can feel most of a phantom body. I think it's more common for Weres/Therians to just feel paws, ears, tails. Sometimes the sensation of fur or an elongated muzzle. Below is a more detail description of a Phantom Shift found on the resource website Project Shift. http://project-shift.net/types-of-shifts/

I'm also on Forest Horizon. You're welcome to make an account and join us there. http://werebeastcommunity.proboards.com/

Phantom Shift (ph-shift): the term is based off of the “phantom limb†experience that some amputees have, but this is only a similar, obviously not the same, occurrence. It is when a person feels a non-human body part attached to or super-imposed on their human body.

The specific ways in which these can be experienced varies vastly, but included amongst them are a diversity of levels of ‘realism’, some being very minor to some even being so intense that the phantom part feels almost or entirely “real†regardless of the fact it is not physical. Some phantom parts are constant, but the ones referred to in this definition are those that are temporary and ‘shift’ in and out of occurrence. Other effects associated with some phantom parts include pain or discomfort in/on or associated with the phantom part, movement (voluntary or involuntary) of the phantom body part, and reactions to outside ‘real’ stimuli such as objects, sounds, movement of other things, and so forth.

Last edited by WolfDaughter (2016-05-25 14:39:31)

#7 2016-05-25 20:08:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

Forest Horizon is less diverse in that it is mostly Were (we have a few nonWere folks that enjoy the company of Weres and therianthropologists come by occasionally when they're doing research). The focus in on the offline community although, of course, we're certainly online.

Full phantoms seem to be sorta rare. I have a full phantom body, perhaps because I've used it so much in my shamanic activity. It can help - I can use my tail, for instance, to help me balance. Sometimes, it's a pain, like when I sit on it to long. Current neurophysiology research is showing that hominid brains are, like modern computers, pretty extensible. For one thing, they can handle more than four limbs and that might be something that Weres are tapping into.

My impression is that Weres' "nonhuman" experiences are so wound up with their "human" experiences that it would be really hard to tease them apart. I've never been anything other than Were so I wouldn't know where to start. It's never been an issue to me. My experiences are my experiences and it doesn't really matter whether they're human, lupine, or therianthropic.

A lot of Weres experience dysmorphia - the feeling that they don't have the right shape or body. It's not a constant throughout the community. Some have a really hard time with it; some just feel sorta off; I've never had a problem with it at all.

#8 2016-05-25 22:01:19

Skylar Anne Bailey

Okay, I'll look into Forest Horizon! So, you can get involved with a community close by where you live?

Also, I discovered I was wrong in my previous analysis. I wasn't 100% sure what I was, so I connected with some other Therians who helped me figure some stuff out. I'm not a Snow Leopard after all. I'm actually a black wolf therian. smile So that's exciting! And I do have a phantom body. I can feel my paws and ears mostly right now, but more may come as I get used to being myself instead of holding back all the time (which is what I was doing before).

It's a little weird coming to terms & accepting what I am, but I think I'm on a good path right now. smile Feeling a little better the more I discover and let loose.

#9 2016-05-26 01:07:20

WolfVanZandt
Website

Weres aren't usually all that open on home territory - there's sometime a local community that is more or less cohesive. We have a tribe of about 30 individuals - it's not consistent because Weres are so mobile and tend to come and go. Outside the tribe there are a lot of Weres in the area and they'll interact occasionally. We have folks that drift by the House passing through, and we have tribe members that live out of town that show up occasionally.

Other areas might have several Weres but they don't know about each other.

Some Weres are associated with Furry fandom or like to go to comic, fantasy, or steam punk conventions. You can usually find Weres at those things. And if you can find an established Howl in your area - those are gold. Places like Forest Horizon and the Werelist usually have some way to identify and contact Weres in your area. Normally, you won't get an individual's contact information - nobody wants their person information broadcast all over the Internet, but you might be able to connect on the forum or send an email or find out about a local Howl or convention (they have a thread for conventions and such on this forum.)

Board footer