The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2010-10-02 16:31:04

Reptile

Re: Vampire Diaries (2 possibly feature werewolves!)

So Vampire Diaries continues on the tradition of paranormal romance werewolves gargling balls? Awesome. F**ck you CW.

You have no idea how little tolerance I have left for this wolfaboo bullspit.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#27 2010-10-02 19:46:15

Viergacht

RadRed21 wrote:

i think we just have to accept the "monster" werewolf is a thing of the past. it's always the same excuse. budgets. it seems noone can afford to put effort into making a werewolf look like a werewolf, or to be more accurate, noone is interested in trying to afford it.

I WILL NEVER ACCEPT THAT.

NEVER!!!!!!

#28 2010-10-02 20:03:21

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Hahahahaha. Wolfaboo?   I've never heard that term before.  Are you referring to the types that are all like "WEREWOLVES AREN'T MONSTERS!!11!1!!" all the time..? tongue

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#29 2010-10-02 20:10:34

Reptile

Totalimmortal wrote:

Hahahahaha. Wolfaboo?   I've never heard that term before.  Are you referring to the types that are all like "WEREWOLVES AREN'T MONSTERS!!11!1!!" all the time..? tongue

Well technically wolfaboo refers to people who obsess about wolves to the point of stupidity, but I consider the two linked and use the term when referring to those kinds of people as well. Werewolfaboo doesn't have quite the same ring to it.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-10-02 20:11:04)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#30 2010-10-03 06:31:00

zockereinstein

RadRed21 wrote:

zockereinstein wrote:

Viergacht wrote:

I am so sick of werewolves being played by german shepherd mixes. They don't even look like real wolves. Bunch of lazy, cheap bastards.

Well, what I really miss from such movies is the "monster". I mean, the hulking furry beast with razorsharp claws, bestial head and red eyes. For me a wolf will never be a "monster" even when some bad journalism use the image of the "evil predator" for its own means (e.g. what happened in Alaska some time ago, as an excuse to begin hunting wolves again).
And I agree with you... if you are going to show a "bad wolf", please, use at least a real wolf, not a doggie.

i think we just have to accept the "monster" werewolf is a thing of the past. it's always the same excuse. budgets. it seems noone can afford to put effort into making a werewolf look like a werewolf, or to be more accurate, noone is interested in trying to afford it.

in terms of the "wolf" used for vamp diaries, well... it looked meaner than true blood's werewolves at least.

You're right. Let's face it, a werewolf will never be as cheaper as a cheap vampire (= a pair of fake fangs).

#31 2010-10-18 21:15:13

WereWolfH

zockereinstein wrote:

RadRed21 wrote:

zockereinstein wrote:

Well, what I really miss from such movies is the "monster". I mean, the hulking furry beast with razorsharp claws, bestial head and red eyes. For me a wolf will never be a "monster" even when some bad journalism use the image of the "evil predator" for its own means (e.g. what happened in Alaska some time ago, as an excuse to begin hunting wolves again).
And I agree with you... if you are going to show a "bad wolf", please, use at least a real wolf, not a doggie.

in terms of the "wolf" used for vamp diaries, well... it looked meaner than true blood's werewolves at least.

You're right. Let's face it, a werewolf will never be as cheaper as a cheap vampire (= a pair of fake fangs).

YEAH, WELL Wes Craven's been around for a while and that werewolf in Cursed could have been better, the CGI at times was lame. Underworld did well.

Prosthetic monsters are out right now anyway. When they come back in werewolves might have a shot, but the director's gotta be a werewolf fan. Underworld was sorta indy (yet it wasn't ) I think that's why it worked. Wolfman did a good job.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#32 2010-10-24 00:03:24

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

I am so sick of werewolves being played by german shepherd mixes. They don't even look like real wolves. Bunch of lazy, cheap bastards.

Agree. It's disappointing.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#33 2010-11-07 01:08:28

WereWolfH

I'm probably gonna miss by a long shot, but there's that glimmer. I'm hoping there's a part of Mason Lockwood that is still alive and is regrowing his heart back.

That way he can come back on the show!!!

#34 2010-11-08 08:17:33

Mitch01
Rising Angel

i see u like Mason.... with all the money that the show is making they couldn't make it look decent..... but i guess they figured they couldn't bc of the younger ppl that watch it. idk, it should be much better than what it is now.

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#35 2010-11-10 18:45:30

WereWolfH

Mitch01 wrote:

i see u like Mason.... with all the money that the show is making they couldn't make it look decent..... but i guess they figured they couldn't bc of the younger ppl that watch it. idk, it should be much better than what it is now.

Yes, MASON!!!! I'm hoping he's like Wolverine and will wake up soon. They changed a lot about werewolves in the show so...

It looks decent for tv and for the notice. A lot of stuff they do for movies takes months to perfect and they don't have that luxury.

what doesn't look decent? It looks great to me. The vampire effects are great, the werewolf eye effect is GREAT

iT'S WAY BETTER THAN THE BOOK. I don't see how anyone bought the books.

#36 2010-11-11 17:03:44

RadRed21

the december 9 episode is title "By the light of the moon". guess that's an obvious hint. i'm still hoping that since they hid most of mason's transformation that they're gonna put SOME effort into the tf process for tyler. I'm not holding out for much since we already know the end result is a dog, but it's still nice to imagine.

#37 2010-11-11 17:23:19

zockereinstein

RadRed21 wrote:

the december 9 episode is title "By the light of the moon". guess that's an obvious hint. i'm still hoping that since they hid most of mason's transformation that they're gonna put SOME effort into the tf process for tyler. I'm not holding out for much since we already know the end result is a dog, but it's still nice to imagine.

I bet on hidden TF. It is cheaper, like scriptwiters' mind xD. Well, sorry for the bad joke, but they have no need to spend money on that.

#38 2010-11-11 22:03:43

WereWolfH

okay, don't get mad. Why DO WE NEED TO SEE THE TRANSFORMATION. I liked using my imagination when Mason was in the truck. Especially if it's a lot of money.

#39 2010-11-12 02:01:26

RadRed21

truthfully i don't need a detailed transformation, especially since it's a wolf form they take on i would never expect something along the lines of AWIL or something similar. Just a couple effects that show his shifting would be enough for me. just as long as they don't show his shadow doing the changing. i hate it when shows do that

#40 2010-11-12 02:20:50

MarkOne
Website

I think the viewers need to see some kind of transformation, since he's part of the cast and everything. I doubt it'll be that detailed though, since it is an hour long show and they probably have other parts of the story to tell.  If I had to guess, I think it'll be enough to show him becoming the wolf, since this is his first time.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#41 2010-11-12 09:22:40

zockereinstein

WereWolfH wrote:

okay, don't get mad. Why DO WE NEED TO SEE THE TRANSFORMATION. I liked using my imagination when Mason was in the truck. Especially if it's a lot of money.

You can also try not to watch the episode... just use also your imagination. Why DO WE NEED TO SEE THE EPISODE. I prefer to see what happens. Sorry, I wasn't intended to be sarcastic, just pointing out that on TV and cinema, the "visual fact" is mandatory. I mean, for example, I love to read books, and in that case you need your imagination a lot. Well, in the end it's a matter of preferences. I like a werewolf show much more if there's some TF in it.

#42 2010-11-12 23:03:32

blackjack60
Website

WereWolfH wrote:

okay, don't get mad. Why DO WE NEED TO SEE THE TRANSFORMATION. I liked using my imagination.

I prefer that the show's staff uses their imagination, since that's what they're being paid for and that's what we tune in to watch. The werewolf transformation scene is one of the classic tropes of werewolf stories--forgoing it would be like having a vampire movie that didn't have any scenes of vampires sucking blood. What makes the werewolf genre interesting is that it's about a human turning into an animal. To not actually show that process sort of voids the purpose of the whole thing. It's by seeing someone transform right before our eyes that makes the transformation really hit home.

#43 2010-11-13 21:46:05

WereWolfH

RadRed21 wrote:

truthfully i don't need a detailed transformation, especially since it's a wolf form they take on i would never expect something along the lines of AWIL or something similar. Just a couple effects that show his shifting would be enough for me. just as long as they don't show his shadow doing the changing. i hate it when shows do that

AWIL transformation is now dated. Everyone knows how the transformations work and THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS on the transformations technologies . I was about to say go with the shadow transforming. It's easier and cheaper.

Werewolf fans have GOT to compromise so that we get more at least C+ werewolf movies (let's face it, most werewolf movies are crap), and then we'll start to see money put towards the werewolf movies.

Still hoping Mason comes back, but as of the wiki Vampire Diaries, he's dead. (Also, basing this on the LAMMMMEEEE WAY THEY KILLED ALL THE Cool vampires like Anna and her mom WTF)

#44 2010-11-14 15:03:39

WolfMontana

I try so hard to like this show. Even caught the (next to) last one with the new werewolf dude. Meh. It's tough wading through all that exaggerated 'angst'.

#45 2010-11-14 21:37:13

blackjack60
Website

WereWolfH wrote:

AWIL transformation is now dated. Everyone knows how the transformations work and THERE HASN'T BEEN ANY NEW DEVELOPMENTS on the transformations technologies .

Nonsense. AWIL is literally dated because it took place 30 years ago. The fact that people still rave about it as one of the best transformations of all time should indicate that it figuratively has NOT dated. And anyone who's watched Being Human knows that transformation technologies HAVE advanced--it's now possible to do excellent werewolf transformations on a TV budget, and to make them smoother and more fluid than the ones in AWIL. And the rise of CGI means that subtle CGI can be combined with animatronics to make even better transformations. So the frontier is still wide open. And saying we all know how transformations work is meaningless. We know how guns and explosions work, and yet action movies are still full of people shot and things exploding. We know how vampires suck blood, yet vampire movies still have those scenes. Werewolf movies are about people who change into wolves--and nothing rams home the horror and wonder of that concept than to see the transformation occur right before our eyes. A werewolf film without a transformation is like spaghetti without sauce.

I was about to say go with the shadow transforming. It's easier and cheaper.

It's also even more dated and far more boring than a detailed transformation. It's for cheap filmmakers who have no imagination. And if people always went with what is easiest and cheapest than this world would be a boring place.

Werewolf fans have GOT to compromise so that we get more at least C+ werewolf movies (let's face it, most werewolf movies are crap), and then we'll start to see money put towards the werewolf movies.

Werewolf fans do not have to do anything. Hollywood is not run on the whims of a small group of werewolf fans. If werewolves are popular right now, it's because of the mass success of Twilight, which has encouraged Hollywood to throw money at anything with classic monsters. Once the lst Twilight films have come and gone, you can bet on seeing far fewer werewolf films. And why should anyone want more C+ werewolf films? Is mediocrity really so much more desirable than crap?

#46 2010-11-14 23:40:26

RadRed21

furthermore, the show seems to be doing extremely well, so i feel the money is definitely there for them to put some effort into tyler's transformation. being human did it and they were not established when they started, so I really don't see why it's that difficult. obviously the focus of the show will be vampires, so they don't have to put efforts into the werewolf tf every episode

#47 2010-11-15 08:15:03

Mitch01
Rising Angel

WereWolfH wrote:

Mitch01 wrote:

Yes, MASON!!!! I'm hoping he's like Wolverine and will wake up soon. They changed a lot about werewolves in the show so...

It looks decent for tv and for the notice. A lot of stuff they do for movies takes months to perfect and they don't have that luxury.

what doesn't look decent? It looks great to me. The vampire effects are great, the werewolf eye effect is GREAT

iT'S WAY BETTER THAN THE BOOK. I don't see how anyone bought the books.

the Vampire effects are great, but maybe its bc im a werewolf fan and i want to SEE it, how they portray their "wolf".  the eye thing, yes that i will def agree, it's awesome big_smile

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#48 2010-12-02 23:02:58

MarkOne
Website

For those of you who were wondering if they're going to put any effort into showing Tyler's werewolf transformation for the Dec. 9th episode, the answer is: Yes.

Here's some quotes I've read online to confirm it:

-- When Mason transformed into a werewolf, we only got to see the before and after. We watched as he attempted to take sedatives and chain himself up, and we heard him scream in agony... but most of the transformation occurred after he'd climbed into his truck, out of sight. When Tyler transforms, we're going to see the whole thing.

-- The guy who plays Tyler also confirms this: "You're gonna get the whole enchilada, It's not quick. It isn't something that just happens; it's ongoing, especially because it's his first transformation."

-- He also said this: "You're going to see, it's just a constant thing that he's fighting as he's going through it."  "It's long and it's painful."

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#49 2010-12-03 01:34:22

RadRed21

well, tonight's episode indicated that the first transformation takes hours. they were watching a video of mason's first tf. of course conveniently mason flailed about enough so the camera kept getting knocked off focus. i still have to wonder how much detail can be put into a tf that ends in a full on wolf. perhaps it's just that it takes hours for the organs inside to shift and that's what's so painful. but guess we'll see. they're certainly playing up the painful side of it, which I do like about werewolf tf's so hopefully it turns out good

#50 2010-12-03 09:54:48

WolfMontana

Hmm... I may watch this!

Board footer