The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-31 18:29:08

Mymloch

The Birthday Party

Possibly the beginning to a longer work, but more of a teaser right now.  Two more parts to come after this one.  Thanks for checking it out.

“Why are we doing this, Jack?”  Sally asked, obviously displeased with his methods.  Jack stopped walking and fixed his gaze on her as she walked ahead of him.  Sally stopped and turned to meet his condescending stare. 

“Do I need to explain this again, Sally?” Jack replied, “I mean, really?  Come on.”

“I know, I know,” Sally said, walking back to him, “We’re after the boy.  I’m just wondering why we’re going about it this way.  Attending a child’s birthday party hardly seems like it would be effective at anything except making us act like we’re thirteen years old again.”

Jack resumed his walk, nudging Sally along, “Well, it certainly helps that you fit the part.  You’ll fit right in with these kids; that’s why Nathan sent us.  I would think you’d be used to this kind of thing by now, being one of the youngest looking of us.”

“That must be real easy for you to say,” Sally said, “You easily pass for eighteen.”   

“You know you’ve always wanted a big brother, Sally,” Jack chuckled.

“Too bad I’m older than you, big brother,” Sally said mockingly.           

Sally stopped at the crosswalk, looking around at the quaint suburb as it switched from the pale glow of late evening to the limited luminescence of the street lights.  It really was a picturesque scene.  The houses differed only slightly from one another, the yards neatly manicured and blending from one to the next with seamless ease.  She thought it funny how people in places like this always seemed to live under the false pretenses of isolated security, as if the world could not reach them here.  Of course, if that were true, she and Jack would not need to be here.

“What street are we looking for?” Sally asked.

“Saratoga,” Jack answered.

“And what street are we on, now?”

“Um,” Jack glanced around, “Emerson.  So it should only be about another block.”

Sally still never understood why Jack never seemed to want to drive anywhere. Walking was the only alternative, as society tended to frown on what would appear to be a thirteen year old girl driving a car.  Nonetheless, her size had its advantages at times. 

She examined the brightly wrapped package she had been given to deliver as a gift.  Knowing Nathan, Sally assumed the youthful patriarch had probably wrapped up some model car or plastic dinosaur for the birthday boy, totally oblivious to the fact that children over five rarely played with such toys.

As they approached the next street sign, Sally could make out the word:  Saratoga.  She stopped, thankful that they hadn’t managed to get completely lost in suburbia.  Standing at the corner, Jack pulled a piece of paper from his back pocket, studying it intently.

“Now to just find the right house number,” he said.

“What are we supposed to do here, anyway?” Sally asked, “It’s not like we can just snatch the boy up and run off with him… especially with no car.”

Jack rolled his eyes, and began flipping the paper to properly orient their direction.  “Nathan wants us to determine if the boy is close to his first moondance.  Jessica picked up on his behavior at the school and health as of late, and it certainly seems like he’s close.”

“So we’re just supposed to hang out at the party?” Sally asked, “Someone’s gonna figure out that no one knows who we are, don’t you think?”

“Probably,” Jack responded, still looking at the scribbled map, “Now quiet down, Sally, I need to figure out this chicken scratch Nathan calls an address.”

While Jack was lost in his paper, Sally took note of a sudden commotion up the street.  Several children and their respective parents were bustling from the front door of one of the not-so-different houses, scurrying into the yard.  Some simply ran from the house, while others hurried into their vehicles.  In their hurry to flee, a few of the cars crashed into each other, prompting their operators to remove their children and run away on foot.  One car to successfully get into motion had plowed into the mailbox, scooping it up onto the hood.  The car’s driver motored the vehicle rapidly down the street in their direction, taking the turn onto Emerson Street with reckless abandonment, dropping the mailbox right at Sally’s feet.

Jack, now watching the unfolding circus of fear before him, joined Sally in glancing down to the deformed mailbox, which displayed a very pronounced 113 Saratoga on its side.

“Call it a hunch,” Sally said foxily, “but I’m betting it’s 113.”

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-08-02 21:46:45)

#2 2009-07-31 19:29:06

FenrirFinale

Re: The Birthday Party

Wow not a bad introduction it's certainly has me wanting to read more. smile Keep up the good work.

Always happy to chat so add me on Kik at ArcticRhapsody.

Seize the Night~

#3 2009-07-31 19:42:10

SouthPaw

Great beginning.  I'm hooked.

#4 2009-08-02 12:07:08

dyal

I like it.

#5 2009-08-02 19:02:56

Mymloch

continued...   

Jack and Sally rushed up the road to the source of the matter, dodging the few people still making their escape.  As they crossed over a set of crashed cars, a large bay window on the front of the house exploded as a woman hurled outward over the porch from inside.  She landed on the lawn, moaning horribly before losing consciousness.  As if the events hadn't already made the situation clear to Jack, an all-too-familiar howl bellowed from within the darkened hole that now served as the facade to 113 Saratoga Street.

“Sh*t,” Jack said, “He's changed.”

“Ya think,” Sally said, rushing to check the woman in the yard.

Jack pulled a long-barreled pistol from his jacket and prepared it for use. 

“How is she?” he said, beginning his walk toward the house.

“She'll live,” Sally replied, rolling the lady on her side before standing to join Jack.  She eyed the firearm he held suspiciously.  “You bring a gun to all children's birthday parties?”

“It's a tranquilizer,” Jack said, moving up onto the porch, “Never can be too careful.  Three or four shots should do it.”

Jack peered into the shattered window, but saw nothing inside.  The lights over the dining room inside had been shattered, either by flying debris or by the beast directly.   In addition to a smashed table, the shredded remains of party decorations littered the room.  There was very little noise in the home now.  Jack stepped through the busted out window, while Sally remained on the porch.  She pulled her cell phone from her pocket and quickly began dialing. 

“Yes, Sally,” Nathan calmly answered after a few rings.

“Nathan, the boy has changed.  He's scared off all the people and it looks like he's ripped his house up pretty good in the process.”

“Is he still there?” Nathan asked.

A yelp from another room prompted her to confirm, “Sounds like it.”

“You and Jack try to keep him there... subdue him if you can.  We'll be there as soon as we can.”

Sally put the phone back in her pocket and stepped inside after Jack.

“Nathan says sick 'im, Jack,” Sally whispered.

Jack nodded, moving closer to the next room's entrance.  Peering into the living room of the home, the television had been pulled from its resting place and onto the floor.  The static signal on the screen flickered light across the large room.  Stepping inside, pistol ready, Jack sniffed at the air.  He looked deeply into the darker corner of the room to a quietly grunting mound of matted fur around a spiny curve.  It snorted and slurped  before beginning a curious sniffing pattern of its own.  Jack reached a free hand over to the wall, resting his hand on the light switch, which he hoped still worked. 

The mass of fur bent forward, producing a large wolfen head facing away from them that continued to sniff the air, becoming wary of a new, yet familiar scent.  Jack flipped the light on, blasting vivid illumination to the entire room.  The beast turned viciously towards the source, seeing Jack at the doorway. 

It stood erect, some 6 feet tall, blood and gore dripping from its maw.  In its clawed hand, the upper torso of a golden retriever hung lifeless.  Building a growl into a gurgled roar, the beast made its threat to Jack. 

Wasting no time, Jack began firing.  Two darts flew across the room, impacting the monster's chest, explosive force pushing the sedative into the feral body.  The beast hurled the dog corpse at Jack and followed it with a dive attack.  Jack collapsed back into the dining room, dropping the gun.  The doorway arch and its supported wall shelving crumbled as the werewolf tried to follow Jack through, trapping its legs under a pile of collapsed lumber.  Jack quickly pushed his feet into the crooks of the beast's arms, temporarily immobilizing them, while shoving a piece of wood into its rapidly snapping jaws. 

“Get the gun, Sally!” Jack shouted.

Sally searched the ground for where she thought it had fallen, but the low light made it hard to find.  She peered hard into the dark, letting a warm and feral sensation envelope her eyes.  The dark gave way to delicate shades of gray, and she rummaged through the rubble for the gun.

The wood holding the monster's mouth at bay held firmly, but a quick jerk released one of its arms.  The beast wrapped its claws around Jack's calf, tearing through the jeans and into the flesh with ease.  Jack screamed in agony, losing his grip on the makeshift muzzle.  The werewolf lurched forward to better seize its victim, chomping at every inch of air and desperate for that one juicy bite.  It only took seconds for it to get it.

Jack writhed in pain.  The beast had missed his throat, but had connected its large  front fangs with Jack's chest, puncturing their entire depth into his lungs.  Blood spouted from Jack's mouth and he began to gasp for air.  But the pain was subsiding, being slowly replaced by warmth from the wound.  Jack found his fear melting away as well.  He trembled and his arms buckled wildly, his legs thrashing at the beast.  Jack churned upward into the wound.  He opened his mouth to let loose a guttural roar.  Blackened nails etched outward from his fingertips, which he used to slash at the creature astride him.  The young werewolf yelped, struggling to free its pinned legs. 

Sally heard Jack's bellow.  She knew his rage was overtaking him.  The change would save his life, but if she didn't act quickly, she'd have two rabid werewolves to deal with, one very much more dangerous than the other. 

more to come...

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-08-02 19:03:57)

#6 2009-08-02 20:38:20

dyal

It's a good story so far Mymloch.

#7 2009-08-02 21:11:12

SouthPaw

Great work.  Would have liked to have been a fly on the wall when the kid turned. smile

#8 2009-08-03 10:58:09

FenrirFinale

A very nice update. I honestly can't wait to see what happens next. smile

Don't keep us waiting to long Mymloch wink

Seize the Night~

#9 2009-08-04 14:57:05

Mymloch

Does that happen a lot here?

#10 2009-08-04 18:48:57

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

It does occur periodically, however, the moderators and administrator are brilliant and the spam usually disappears quite quickly. wink

BTW, interesting tale. I enjoy your diction. smile

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-08-04 18:50:16)

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#11 2009-08-04 21:15:46

werewolfKAI-chan
Website

I love it smile keep going

-Howl at the moon and wait for the transformation
-Vampires DON'T sparkle

#12 2009-08-04 22:39:36

Mymloch

continued...

Jack's arms swelled as the fine hair atop them elongated and went coarse. He punched rapidly at the werewolf's abdomen. The beast began visibly displaying signs of the sedative, but Jack could no longer restrain his attacks. His legs found footing under the broken planks and he dove into the dazed werewolf, freeing it from its trappings, but also knocking it back into the living room, destroying the television.

Slightly sedated, but still very vicious, the young werewolf stumbled towards Jack, who was momentarily incapacitated as the next transformation wave hit him, vertigo set in and Jack collapsed to the ground. He felt his jaw break away and immense pressure building in his face. Jack was no stranger to the process, and would normally yield to the sensations to avoid the pain, but in cases of immediate danger, he could not afford himself the luxury. This pain only angered him more. He peered up to the slowly approaching beast.  The werewolf raised a claw to deliver down upon Jack, but was met with Jack's own claw, followed by a swift blow to the chin from another. It stumbled backwards, dropping its claws to its sides.

Two shots fired across the room from the broken archway from the dining room. Sally stood adamant, lowering the gun. The darts slammed into the werewolf's neck, again popping violently as the sedative plunged into its bloodstream. It dropped to its knees, quietly howling. Jack stood up before it, his back to Sally.

"Jack..." Sally muttered.

Jack had crossed the threshold of his humanity. Though not fully transformed physically, his mind had been lost to the wild. The half-wolf figure drew heavy breaths as it stared at the fallen werewolf before it. The werewolf on its knees finally gave way to sleep, slumping over a portion of the couch, Jack howled violently and grabbed the young one, aiming to deliver a lethal bite.

"JACK! ENOUGH!" Sally said, firing a shot into his back.

The new wound gained his attention. He swirled around, his eyes flashing wildly at her. Sally fired again. Unable to withstand the sedatives in his current state, Jack's eyes rolled around in his skull and he collapsed on the floor.

more to come...

#13 2009-08-05 18:26:29

FenrirFinale

Not bad at all. smile I'm officially hooked now so keep it coming.

Seize the Night~

#14 2009-08-11 15:43:41

Mymloch

I am ceasing public work on this project as it unfolds further in my mind.  Thanks to you who read it.  Hopefully, it's not the last you'll see of it (though it certainly won't be called "The Birthday Party" in its finished form).

Board footer