The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-07-27 03:17:12

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

animals and disasters

so has anyone else noticed that animals freak out before a disaster occurs, and try to get away to safety?  anyone think that it is possible that therians might have this "sixth sense" as well? also i am not sure if this is the right forum to put this thread in, so sorry if this is the wrong one.

And if strength is born from heartbreak,
Then mountains I could move.
And if walls could speak,
I pray that they would tell me what to do

#2 2010-07-27 21:24:44

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: animals and disasters

I've been through some disasters with Therians, like the SEHowl that had the flashfloods that had us running for high ground.......(dumb as rocks)....

No, actually they all did very well. I wouldn't say "superhuman" though. They would have come out much better if a giant tree had not fallen between the campsite and the exit, but they didn't panic and everyone got out okay. The worst thing was my leather jacket meeting barbeque sauce and cocoa. After a while the smell becomes quite annoying.
I'd have to have a few more disasters before I can definitively comment on this one. I'm sure the opportunity will come.

#3 2010-07-27 21:36:32

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

sounds interesting although i dont think i said anything about it being superhuman.... but sorry about the jacket, thats always a pain. anyways if you get more information on this and post it here i would appreciate it smile

#4 2010-07-27 22:59:37

JayJay
The Inner Beast

I get a little jittery before storms, if that counts

Let them resist, We will hunt forever
-Vorinclex, Voice of Hunger

If you look in the dictionary for the word "Monster", You'll see a photo of me

#5 2010-07-28 00:16:50

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

well so did my grandparents lol

#6 2010-07-28 00:35:27

JayJay
The Inner Beast

Lol, so i take that a a no . . . Um, well, i've never really been near any natural disaters

#7 2010-07-28 00:53:23

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

lol if therians do have some sort of sixth sense then it might be special for certain theriotypes or something cuz i was walking around my school during a fairly large earthquake and didnt even notice till i got back to class to see every one ducking, apparently it had done something to the announcement speakers or something cuz i didnt hear an announcement either.

#8 2010-07-28 01:00:55

JayJay
The Inner Beast

Ah

#9 2010-07-28 01:54:45

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I can track storms as they come in and out by sensing pressure differentials and moisture levels in my phantom whiskers and Jacobson's-organ.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#10 2010-07-28 02:00:35

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

hmm Jacobson's organ? i dont know what that is.

#11 2010-07-28 02:09:17

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

I can tell when it's raining.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#12 2010-07-28 04:23:25

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

UlfrAndi wrote:

hmm Jacobson's organ? i dont know what that is.

It is a special organ that some animals have which greatly enhances smell.  It is contained in a long muzzle and is the reason that dogs, cats, and raccoons have such good smell.

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#13 2010-07-28 04:33:53

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

ah, thanks for that..... oh all right, just had to check your previous post and it says "phantom" so my skepticism is gone now. thats cool.

to White Wolf hmm by that you mean you can tell when its about to rain? or are you making a joke?

#14 2010-07-28 04:50:49

Dira
Nightwalker werewolf illustrator

I once stared at the moon and I could tell something bad was going to happen, eventually during that night, our pipe burst outside.

#15 2010-07-28 06:41:08

Moonlit Hunter

Okay, well... while there does seem to be a lot of evidence that animals have their own ways of predicting weather and -maybe- natural disasters, they still get caught in them as often as humans. Cows may lay down before a thunder storm, but they generally don't take cover effectively enough when a tornado whips through their herd. Wildlife gets harmed when volcanos erupt, whether or not they sense an impending disaster. And as many of you have experienced, humans also have a "sixth sense" sometimes when something unusual or bad is about to happen. That doesn't mean that you know exactly what it is until after it happens. And I think that a lot of animals might just feel that sense of something about to happen... but they don't necessarily know what, either. It seems to us when we see the behavior, then we see what happens, that they knew all along. But it's possible they just felt uneasy and didn't know why.

Also, sensing weather is a little different than sensing a natural disaster, I think. There are a lot of people who can predict the weather, humans as well as animals. I don't mean like... being able to predict the weather a week in advance, but they have an idea of whether it will rain or not in the next day. My dad can "smell" if it is going to snow up to a day in advance. I put smell in quotations there because I personally suspect it is more than -just- the smell of the air - I think he also feels the air, too. But the way he describes it is that he can "smell snow."

#16 2010-07-29 00:58:45

WolfVanZandt
Website

And, if they really could sense oncoming disaster, they would avoid traffic.

I'll give you my take on it. When the tsunami hit Southeast Asia, the ocean receeded way out - that was weird. People with more sense would have taken that as a sign that all was not well but humans, being too curious for their own good sometimes gawked and died. Animals, not being that curious ran like hell.

Brains (ours, theres, all brains) are rather fantsatic pattern processors. They take in sensory data and give out intuitions. If those intuitions are developed and not too harshly filtered, they can give us all kinds of warnings about oncoming stuff. Modern humans have all but killed their intuitions. Animals live by theirs. Therians, generally pay more attention to their intutions than Mainstreamers, so they're more likely (on the average) to catch the warnings.

So, yes, I'd say that Therians are more likely than average to pivk up on subtle cues in their environment.

#17 2010-07-29 01:03:07

UlfrAndi
Spirit Walker

WolfVanZandt wrote:

lol thats true. and as for the rest of that, i can see how that makes sense.

#18 2010-08-18 05:05:58

vhayes8886

i can smell the moisture in the air to tell if, when, and how bad the rain is going to be. i felt really weird before a bunch of tornadoes were reported in southern ontario (yes i live there). my legs hurt before the earth quake in southurn ontario.

#19 2010-08-18 11:42:56

FenrirFinale

Speaking from a personal stand point I can offer this data. I live in a coastal area well known for receiving some of the worst hurricanes in history. So quite a few people here have a tendency to know when a bad storm is coming even without checking the weather. I myself am a therian but do not have this skill. Though I do have a tendency to know when weather changes will occur. And as was stated in an earlier post it's more of a 'feeling' than anything.

Always happy to chat so add me on Kik at ArcticRhapsody.

Seize the Night~

#20 2010-09-03 10:04:34

Mitch01
Rising Angel

UlfrAndi wrote:

WolfVanZandt wrote:

lol thats true. and as for the rest of that, i can see how that makes sense.

they can sense it more when it's environmental.  also, just like children, they can sense evil. 

my back always hurts when a full moon is on it's way and before it rains i get a headache and i can smell it, which is a beautiful smell lol

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#21 2010-09-23 21:45:18

silversteps

i can tell how bad a storm is  going to be and when it's coming by it's smell and the air pressure , that and sometimes i feel like i hit a wall when i didn't it's really odd   hmm  i look around and no wall,no person, i didn't bump into anything at all,"shrugs" that's about it.

i'm she-wolf i've always been i just didn't know there were others

Board footer