The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-03-30 22:46:41

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Werewolf Book Group: The Next Generation

Greetings folks!

I'm looking to start something new.  Or rather, restart something old.

If you, Sherman, and Mr. Peabody were to hop in the WABAC Machine and ride it to 2007, you'd find a neat little thing happening here in the Werewolf Cafe of days gone by.

Basically a group of us would get together, choose a book, read it, and come here to discuss it.  There would be different points of view to share, ideas exchanged, and a lot of fun had.

You can find the genesis of the idea here:
http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=2474

And the books we discussed here:
http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=2646
http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic.php?id=2436

So I'd like to invite everyone to join in on Werewolf Book Group: The Next Generation.

I've come up with two books, chosen simply because I happen to have them kicking around the house somewhere.

Murcheston: The Wolf's Tale by David Holland.  It's basically the closest thing I have found to a Werewolf Dracula or Frankenstein.
Sharp Teeth by Toby Barlow.  To continue the analogy with classic literature, with Sharp Teeth, Werewolves have their equivalent of Epic Poetry.  Don't let that spook you, it's a pretty amazing book.

So, what do you think?  Feel free to suggest other books.

I look forward to reading with you.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#2 2011-04-07 14:55:21

RedMoonstruck

Re: Werewolf Book Group: The Next Generation

This sounds like a great idea! I'm all for discussing books. And it would be nice to get some ideas for other werewolf books that are actually GOOD. Many of the ones I've read have just been...lacking.

The two books that I can suggest are:

The Mercedes Thompson Series by Patricia Briggs - Urban fantasy, and the main character is a coyote skinwalker, which is more or less a shapeshifter in the true sense of the word. She isn't a werewolf - they are something different in this world. But she was raised by them. I love the main character, which is saying a lot considering main characters are usually my least favorite, but anyway. Great book for werewolfyness. (I just LOVE how she's organized the way packs work and their behaviour. Very spiffy.) Apparently Patricia Briggs also has another series out called the Omega Series which has a werewolf for a main character. I haven't read them...yet.

Moon Dance by S.P. Somtow - This one is definitely not for the faint of heart. It's very, very adult in some places, and there are few redeeming factors to the bad guys (kind of a draw back in my opinion but whatever). It's based more on Native American lore rather than European but it does mix it up a bit with that as well. It's been forever since I've read it, so I'm not too sure on the plot, but I do remember that I enjoyed it very much. It's well-written and has some great imagery and characters in it. It's not as werewolf-centric as Mercedes Thompson (in that it takes more of an outsider approach to the subject), but it makes for a great horror/gothic tale that takes place in the late 1800s in the Midwest. <3

So anyway, that's my two cents. Also would we be posting in this thread or a new one?

The Murcheston book sounds interesting. I'm going to the library today so I may see if they have a copy. :3

Last edited by RedMoonstruck (2011-04-07 14:56:51)

#3 2011-04-09 07:31:29

Daninsky
Website

I like that idea, I have my eye on "Murcheston" for a while now, just need a good excuse to buy it.

I've got both series by Patricia, personally I like "Alpha & Omega" more, but those, besides giving more insight in her werewolf society are more relationship centered, too.

Haven't read "Moon Dance" in ages, either.

I would actually like to throw in "Thor"
Bought it years ago but somehow I lack incentive to actually read it. (<- my totally unselfish reason. big_smile)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#4 2011-04-09 14:18:20

RedMoonstruck

Thor the comic book? XD Or is there another book I don't know about?

#5 2011-04-10 07:15:12

Daninsky
Website

"Thor" by Wayne Smith, it's been the basis for the movie "Bad Moon"
A werewolf story told from the viewpoint of a dog, Thor, that has to defend his family.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

Board footer